1 package cheese and garlic croutons, coarsely ground (2 cups ground)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 cups dry elbow macaroni
3 cups whole milk, room temperature
1/2 cup butter
1 small onion, minced
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons Frank's Hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
4 cups extra, extra, extra sharp cheddar cheese (16 oz. block), grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss crouton crumbs with melted butter and set aside.
- Prepare macaroni and drain.
- In large skillet melt 1/2 cup butter.
- Add onions and saute' until tender and slightly browned.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thick.
- Stir in hot sauce, salt and peppers.
- Stir in cheese until blended.
- Toss together the macaroni and 3/4 of the bread crumbs.
- Stir in cheese mixture until smooth.
- Pour into lightly sprayed 9x9 stoneware.
- Top with remaining crumbs.
- Bake 30 minutes.