Tuesday's Romance of Cookery & Housekeeping ~ Cherry Pie Filling



CHERRY PIE FILLING

3 cups cherries, pitted
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
  • Mix cherries, sugar and flour, let rest 30 minutes
  • Mix remaining ingredients together until well blended.
  • After 30 minutes fold the two together.
  • Pour into pie shell.
  • Put on top crust.
  • Bake 45 minutes until crisp. I put foil over the top to prevent burning from the 15-30 minute mark.
  • At the 30 minute mark uncover and brush with beaten egg
Recipe (page 114) adapted from 'A Thousand Ways to Please a Husband' by Louise Bennett Weaver and Helen Cowles LeCron

I do the memes: Menu Plan Monday hosted by Laura at I'm an Organizing Junkie, Favorite Ingredient Friday hosted by Kathryn at
Overwhelmed with Joy, Freezer Food Friday hosted by MJ at mjpuzzlemom, Scrumptious Sunday hosted by Meredith at Mercedes Rocks, Tasty Thursday hosted by Pumpkin Patch, Watchin' What We Eat hosted by Lorie at Honey I Shrank Myself and Slow Cooking Thursday hosted by Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom. Doing them all make great additions to help keeping me on track and finding so new recipes!

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I should make this tonight, I have a ton of cherries but I'm only allowed 10 a day... they'll go bad before I eat them all. Paul would love it!

The Apron Queen said...

Can you come out & play?! Tag! You're it! :D

http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/2008/06/morning-glory-vine-on-mailbox.html

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Cherry pies are one of my favorites and I love fruit pies.