1 pound bacon, browned and crumbled (save 4 tablespoons of drippings)
1 head red cabbage
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 medium Vidalia onion
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 + 1 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Brown bacon until crisp. Save 4 tablespoons of drippings.
- Wash and shred cabbage. Cut onion into thin rings.
- Heat 1 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup white vinegar to boiling.
- Add shredded cabbage and onion rings. Cook until tender crisp. Drain.
- In a dutch oven heat together the 1 cup water, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, bacon drippings, brown sugar and flour until well blended.
- Add the cabbage and onion mix and heat through.
- Drain before serving.
- Top with crumbled bacon just before serving.