1 cup scalded milk
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup rum
1/2 cup minced walnuts
2 packages dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 Jumbo eggs, beaten
4 1/2 - 5 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick butter, melted
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup powdered sugar
- Soften the yeast in the warm water.
- Stir together the sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Soak the raisins in the rum until needed. Drain before adding to the bread.
- Combine the milk, shortening, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add yeast to milk mixture and then the eggs, the raisins and nuts.
- Add the flour. Mix to a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl. Turn over once, cover with a cheesecloth and let rise until double in size.
- Punch down and let stand ten minutes.
- Roll into many small balls about the size of golf balls.
- Dip each one in the melted butter and then the cinnamon topping.
- Grease a bundt cake pan.
- Arrange the balls haphazardly in the cake pan.
- Allow to rise until double in size (about 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Glaze if you choose.
For the updated & much quicker version visit Overwhelmed with Joy for her Monkey Bread Recipe.
Have you heard about the Need to Knead Bread Roundup? We will roundup all types of bread recipes. We already have a number of people signed up and it promises to be great. You are all invited to participate. We would love it if you would join us, and we would love it if you would help us spread the word by putting this button in your sidebars or even writing a short post about the roundup. Just come back here on October 15th & sign Mr. Linky. We'll see you then.