Scrumptious Sunday ~ Stew Edition~ Farm Style Chicken and Noodles

FARM STYLE CHICKEN & NOODLES

This is the recipe I told you about awhile back that has been handed down through the family from my great grandmother. As a kid dad would tell me that grandma would make her own noodles and then drape them all over the dining room to dry. I guess maybe it was a farm thing, but my family has always eaten this over mashed potatoes. I know, I know double starch, but oooooooooh what a cold winter night comfort food! I've made it for so many years without a recipe it took some work to get the correct proportions! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

4+ pound chicken or chicken pieces*
12 cups water + 4 more
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
2 tablespoons better than bouillon chicken base
5 stalks celery, chopped
1 small bag baby carrots, cut into thirds
1 medium Vidalia onion
3 tablespoons minced garlic, jar
2-4 cups Barilla Campagnelle egg noodles
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
6 medium Yukon potatoes
1/4 butter
1/3-1/2 cup buttermilk
  • In a large stock pot, bring chicken pieces, liquid smoke, bouillon & water to a boil. Boil until the meat is falling off the bone, about 45 minutes - 1 hour)
  • Remove the chicken pieces and let cool enough so you can cut the meat off the bone.
  • In the mean time add the carrots, celery, onion (4 cups total), seasonings and 4 cups more water to the stock pot and return to a slow boil for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  • Pull the chicken pieces off the bones-you'll have about 4 cups of chicken pieces. Refrigerate the chicken pieces and discard the bones.
  • After the vegetables have cooked 45 minutes or until tender add the chicken pieces back in.
  • Make a roux out of the butter and flour. Add to stock pot and cook until desired thickness.
  • Add noodles to stock pot.
  • Cook until noodles are al dente'.
  • Adjust seasonings to taste.
  • Prepare mashed potatoes.
  • Serve stew over mashed potatoes.
*I used to use whole chickens, but have gone to using family size multi-packs of legs which work really well.

I do the memes: Menu Plan Monday hosted by Laura at I'm an Organizing Junkie, Favorite Ingredient Friday hosted by Kathryn at Overwhelmed with Joy, Freezer Food Friday hosted by MJ at mjpuzzlemom, Scrumptious Sunday hosted by Meredith at Mercedes Rocks, and Slow Cooking Thursday hosted by Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom. Doing them all make great additions to help keeping me on track and finding so new recipes!

final blog signature.

No comments: