Joy at Joy of Desserts is hosting a new meme, Vintage Recipe Thursday. I don't have any pictures yet to go with these recipes, but I thought I'd get them submitted to help get her started. These were also old cut out pages so I'm also using them for Magazine Monday over at Ivonnes, Cream Puffs in Venice.
CARROTS & APRICOTS
1 pound fresh carrots, washed and shredded
6-8 large dried apricots, sliced into thin strips
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons water*
1 tablespoon sugar*
1 tablespoon red wine wine vinegar*
- In a large skillet heat water and butter over a medium high heat.
- Add carrots and apricots and saute' for several minutes.
- Sprinkle sugar over it all and add vinegar.
- Stir and cook rapidly until glazed.
- Serves 4
BAKED BEETS 1
- Wash and cut tops back about 2 inches.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake about an hour.
- Remove from oven, cool and then peel.
- Serve with fresh butter.
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place beets in a roasting pan, cover with foil, and bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours until tender.
- Cool until easy to handle, if you are in a real hurry you can dip them in ice water.
- Peel. If the beets are small, serve whole; otherwise slice, dice, mash or cut into julienne strips.
- Place in a saucepan with salt, pepper, and butter and warm, uncovered, over low heat, shaking pan gently, 2 to 3 minutes. If mashing add a bit of heavy cream to sweeten them.