PARSNIP PUREE POTATO SKINS
Did you know that parsnips are from the carrot family? This vegetarian diet hubby requested is giving me room to try some new recipes and I'm losing weight though he says he isn't.
1 1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled & cut into 1 inch pieces
2 medium potatoes, baked & scooped out
1 green onion, sliced thin
2 tablespoons sour cream
3-4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons butter, melted
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add parsnips and boil 20-25 minutes until extremely tender.
- Bake potatoes in oven or microwave. Halve them and scoop out the insides.
- Puree the cooled parsnips and potato insides until smooth.
- Add butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg and heavy cream and blend well.
- Fill potato shells with puree. This makes enough to also fill 2 compotes for another meal later in the week.
- Top with grated cheese and green onion
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Increase to broil and brown tops for a minute or so.