With this recipe I found two old scraps of recipes (Chicken with Tarragon Sauce and Baked Tomatoes with Broccoli stuffing) that had been torn from old cookbooklets, one was even handwritten it was so old. The Brussel Sprouts and carrots were my addition for texture and color. They begged me to put them together and make this dish:**
4 large chicken breasts cut into tenders
4 + 2 tablespoons butter
2 large tomatoes
1 cup baby carrots, cut into halves
3 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
1 large bunch green onions, sliced
1 sleeve Keebler townhouse crackers, crushed
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons flour
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet.
- Brown each side of chicken piece.
- While the chicken is browning, wash the tomatoes and cut the tops off. Scoop the insides out*, salt the insides and turn the tomatoes upside down to drain.
- Transfer chicken pieces to baking dish, but leave enough room for the tomatoes in the center.
- Add the carrots and Brussel sprouts and saute' until tender.
- Transfer them to the baking dishes scattered over the chicken pieces.
- Add the broccoli, tomato pulp and green onions to the skillet and saute' until tender.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add crackers. Fill tomato cups. Add any remaining broccoli mixture to the chicken .
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet.
- Add flour until golden.
- Add chicken broth, tarragon, salt, pepper and whipping cream.
- Bring to a boil while whisking constantly to prevent scorching.
- Add lemon juice after it boils.
- Immediately pour over the whole thing.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees.
*I use a grapefruit knife and it works SUPER!
**I used Brussel Sprouts tonight, but in the future will use all broccoli.