Not too long ago I researched Navy beans for my Navy Bean & Ham soup. During that research I also found that navy beans, named that for the bean of choice of the U.S. Navy, are the main bean used in Boston Baked Beans. I have been making my BBQ Bean dinner for years using canned BUSH beans, but decided it was time to make true Boston Baked Beans my way. I found that most versions used salt pork, but I like the bacon too so I chose to use both. You could substitute if your prefer though. I also eliminated all mustard due to an allergy, but also because I prefer the sweeter version.
Here is my version:
Here is my version:
BOSTON BAKED BEAN DINNER
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 pound salt pork, cubed & browned
2 large Vidalia or Maui onion, chopped small
4 tablespoons liquid smoke
1 cup ketchup
1 cup molasses
3 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cup vinegar
1 pound navy beans
- Soak beans overnight.
- Brown hamburger, drain and layer into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Cube and brown the salt pork. Add to slow cooker.
- Fry bacon until crisp. Crumble bacon into pieces. Add to slow cooker.
- Chop onion into small pieces and scatter over the meat.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker.
- Scatter the brown sugar over top evenly.
- Stir together the molasses, ketchup, vinegar, liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce. Pour evenly over everything in the slow cooker slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with Beer Bread or Cheddar Cheese Biscuits.
- Great dish for a church pot luck.
1 pound Navy beans, washed and sorted
1/2 pound salt pork, diced small
1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
1/4 cup ketchup
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup PURE maple syrup
1/4 cup molasses
- Dice salt pork and layer on bottom of slow cooker.
- Chop onion and scatter over salt pork pieces.
- Wash and sort beans.
- Place beans in slow cooker on top of salt pork.
- Cover with 5 cups water.
- Cook on low overnight for 12 hours.
- Drain beans, reserving liquid.
- Return beans to slow cooker.
- Add vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, maple syrup and molasses and blend well. Add in 1/2 cup of bean water as desired for consistency.
- Heat through.