This week's recipe is for Roast Chicken with a Lemon Herb sauce the easy way, on the stove top. That way all the tantalizing smells will bring your family to the table on time.ROAST CHICKEN
4 tablespoons butter, divided & softened
1 whole chicken cut into pieces
1 1/4 cups hot water
2 teaspoons Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
salt & pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 green onion, chopped fine
Juice from 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon flour
1 tablespoon butter
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Salt and pepper.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet and when HOT, place chicken skin side down in pan.
- DO NOT TURN chicken pieces until you see blood and bottom side is golden brown.
- Whisk together the hot water, bouillon, thyme and basil.
- Turn chicken and add 3/4 cup of chicken stock.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and pour stock into a measuring cup.
- Melt remaining butter in skillet and return chicken skin side down to skillet and cook another 5 minutes until skin is crisp.
- Transfer to an ovenproof plate, cover with foil and keep warm.
- Skim the fat from the broth and add enough of the additional broth to make 3/4 cup.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet on a low heat, scraping up any of the little pieces from the chicken to add to the flavor.
- Add green onions and saute' a minute or so.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Increase heat and add broth and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Stir in any juices that have drained from the chicken. Simmer a few more minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice, thyme and basil.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve immediately. I like to serve it with rice.