- Spray casserole dish with PURE
- Lay chicken pieces in bottom.
- Generously salt and pepper chicken.
- Cover with Fire Roasted Salsa Verde
- Place a generous dollop of sour cream on top of each chciken piece.
- Cover with grated Monterey Jack cheese.
- Sprinkle with diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro.
- Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
My Source for awesome homemade verde sauce = Chris the wonderful cook, griller, photographer and Big Green Egg enthusiast. Check out his blog at www.nibblemethis.com
His Source = Adapted from Steven Raichlen’s Planet Barbecue!
1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
1 Serrano pepper
1 jalapeno pepper
1 Anaheim pepper
1 large onion, peeled and sliced into thirds
3 cloves garlic, peeled and skewered together with a toothpick
½ cup cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon bacon fat
3 ounces chicken stock
½ teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Get your grill cooking at about 450f.
- Place the peppers and tomatillos on and sear them until all sides are blackened.
- This should take a few minutes per side. Remove and place them into a plastic bag for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill the onion and garlic until browned (about 4 minutes a side for the onion, 1-2 for the garlic) and remove from heat.
- Skin, seed, and dice the peppers.
- Skin and quarter the tomatillos. Don’t be super picky about getting all the charred skin off, you want a little in there for flavor.
- Quarter the grilled onions.
- Place them all in a food processor and pulse them until you get a salsa like texture.
- Heat the bacon fat over medium high heat and then add the tomatillo mixture for 3-5 minutes. You’ll get some thick “pops” as the thick liquid heats but keep stirring.
- Mix in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, letting the flavors get happy together.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.