SALVITXADA ala Tamy

I was reading an email article from Tasting Table about Salvitxada and it sounded scrumptious.  So I set off on an internet search for other recipes.  Catalan Salbitxada sauce is eaten with "calcots", a special kind of green onion from Cataluna. Char-grilled green onions with Salbitxada sauce make both a good "tapa" and side dish for spring and summer. Tasty and easy to make, try this sauce with all types of grilled vegetables, not just onions. Traditionally made with a mortar and pestle, a food processor makes this sauce a snap.

Here is the recipe I came up with for us and what's left - it was scrumptious!
SALVITXADA ala Tamy     Makes 2 1/2 cups
4 tablespoons blanched almonds, toasted and ground to a fine coarse
4 fresh mild hot peppers, (membranes and seeds removed) finely chopped
8 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons blood orange vinegar*
3/4 cup canola oil**
salt and pepper to taste
  • Heat oven to 350 degrees. 
  • Place almonds in hot oven to toast for 5-7 minutes. 
  • Place in a food processor or mortar and pestle and coarsely grind.
  • Peel and dice tomatoes and set aside.
  • Finely chop the peppers, removing the seeds and membranes. 
  • Peel and finely mince the garlic. 
  • Mash ground almonds, peppers and garlic into a paste using a mortar and pestle or food processor.
  • Mix in tomatoes, parsley and vinegar.
  • Pulsing the food processor, drizzle in the canola oil until sauce becomes thick. 
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Serve with grilled “calcots” (green onions) and/or chips and other grilled vegetables.
*Most recipes call for red wine vinegar, but I changed it for flavor alone.
**Most recipes called for olive oil, but I am not an olive lover - I even hate the smell so I changed it up for us.

2 comments:

Forgetfulone said...

I've never heard of that vinegar before. And I never knew you didn't like olive oil. Learn something new every day! LOL

Martha (MM) said...

Have you ever tried the extra light olive oil? That's my favorite of all oils - I'm not a big fan of the good old EVOO either.