OVEN BBQ PORK CHOPS
1 1/2 to 2 pounds pork rib chops, trimmed of fat
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 teaspoons safflower oil, divided
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup orange juice
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
2-3 cups prepared white rice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Generously sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat.
- Add the pork chops and sear to brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Stir in garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add orange juice and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in barbecue sauce until well blended.
- Return the pork chops to the pan, turning several times to coat with the sauce.
- In a large baking dish layer the rice on the bottom, smoothing the top.
- Add pork chops to top of rice.
- Pour remaining sauce over the chops and rice.
- Transfer the dish to the oven and bake until the pork chops are barely pink in the middle and an instant-read thermometer registers at least 145 degrees. 10-15 minutes.