I talked to my niece this morning and she was telling me about this amazing dessert that she had at a local restaurant last Valentine's Day. Let's just say it involved Oreos, chocolate, Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia and some whip cream. The more she talked the more I wanted some. So, when I went to the grocery store today I decided to pick up the ingredients. Guess what? They didn't have any Cherry Garcia, but they did have my new favorite Willie Nelson's Country Peach Cobbler. So I'm altering the ingredients a bit and we'll call it the summer version. This will easily serve 4.
1 pint Ben & Jerry's Willie Nelson's Country Peach Cobbler ice cream, softened**
1 row of golden double stuff oreos
- Crush the oreos in a food grinder until small sand like consistency.
- Press oreo mixture into the bottom of a 6 inch baking dish.
- Press ice cream into crust and spread smooth.
- Chill in freezer for 2 hours.
- Top with caramel and/or one of these hot fudge toppings.
6 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- In a heavy saucepan heat the corn syrup.
- Stir in the sugar until well incorporated and cook over a moderately high heat, undisturbed until a deep amber caramel forms.
- Turn off heat and carefully stir in butter with a long spoon. Careful, it will spit.
- Add the heavy cream in a thin stream, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Add salt and blend well.
- Transfer the caramel to a heatproof container and allow to cool.
- Heat caramel in small increments until desired temperature.
1/4 cup light corn syrup
scant 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons sugar
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted & cooled
3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
2 tablespoons golden rum
- In a medium saucepan blend together the water, corn syrup dissolving the sugar and cocoa into it until smooth.
- Bring to a low boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate until smooth.
- Gradually add the coffee and rum until desired flavor and consistency is reached.
- Serve warm.
- Makes 1 1/2 cups. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Microwave20-30 seconds to soften refrigerated caramel before serving.
12 ounces Milky Way candy bars, cut into chunks
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1 cup milk
- In a double boiler combine candy bars, chocolate and milk.
- Cook and stir constantly until melted and well blended and smooth.
- Store in a airtight jar in the refrigerator.