Tonight we tried the HOT BROWN from THE BROWN HOTEL from OFF THE EATEN PATH by Morgan Murphy from Southern Living. I did have to make a couple of small substitutions but we loved it and cannot even think about changing the substitution back.
|PREPPING THE SANDWICH|
THE HOT BROWN serves 4
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
4 cups heavy cream
10 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, divided**
salt and pepper, to taste
1 pound thinly sliced turkey (I used Costco sliced and it was perfect)
4 Texas toast slices (I used thick Sourdough)
4 plum tomatoes, sliced lengthwise (I used grape tomatoes halved and scattered)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
8 cooked bacon slices
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat broiler with rack 4 inches from heat.
- Melt butter in a heavy 2 quart saucepan over medium low heat.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth and golden.
- Gradually whisk in cream over medium heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper, stirring to blend.
- Place toast slice in the bottom of a lightly greased casserole dish.
- Top with turkey slices.
- Top with tomatoes.
- Spoon cheese sauce over tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Broil 5 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Top with bacon pieces.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
**I didn't realize I was out, but I was so I substituted sharp cheddar and it was lick the plate clean good.