PB&J STEW

I first saw this recipe on a blog and thought, hmmm maybe. Then it kept showing up again and again so I finally tried it. I've adapted it from what I originally printed out and unfortunately I don't know where I first saw it, but I'll give you the original and notate my changes in red and then you can decide for yourself.  We LOVED it. Perfect for a cool winter's night.
PB&J CHICKEN STEW
8 skinless chicken breasts, thighs or drumsticks
1 large onion, chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup grape jelly or berry jam/jelly
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley 
1 knorr chicken gel boullion
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup creamy JIF
1/8 cup black and blue berry jam (courtesy of my SIL - YUMMY BTW)
2 tablespoons Classico sun-dried tomato pesto
1 celery stalk, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
  • Place chicken pieces in the slow cooker. 
  • Add onions, carrots, celery and parsley.
  • In a medium bowl whisk together stock, peanut butter, jelly, tomato pesto. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
  • Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours or high for **2-4 hours until chicken is cooked through.
  • Serve over mashed potatoes.
**I was in a hurry and my chicken was not quite thawed which made it easier to cut into chunks. I cooked it on high for 3 hours and it was PERFECT!

No comments: