STUFFED CABBAGE LEAVES
1 pound ground beef
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
3 teaspoons minced garlic, jar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 JUMBO egg
1 can diced tomatoes with herbs
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
1 1/2 cups Bolegnese sauce*
8-10 Cabbage Leaves
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk the hot water and Better than Bouillon base together. Set aside.
- Combine the Bolegnese sauce, tomatoes and vinegar until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large skillet lightly brown the ground beef.
- Drain, reserving the grease.
- In the same skillet use the reserved grease to saute' the onion, carrots and garlic until translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the rice.
- Add the broth and salt.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender (about 15 minutes). Cool.
- Add the egg and blend well.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanche the cabbage leaves JUST until soft and pliable. Drain and rinse in cold water. Pat dry.
- In a large baking dish pour 1/3 of the Bolegnese sauce mixture into the bottom.
- Fill each leaf with the beef and rice mixture. Roll up, tucking in the sides and place seam side down in the baking dish.
- Top with the remaining sauce.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until heated through and sauce has thickened.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Tasty Tuesday is hosted by Jen over at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. Tuesdays at the Table is normally hosted by Andrea over at My Chihauhau Bites, but Andrea is taking a break and it is being hosted by Cole at All the Small Stuff for a while. Tempt my Tummy Tuesday is hosted by Lisa at Blessed with Grace. Healthy Helpings is hosted by Martha at ThEKrAzYkItChEn. Vintage Recipe Thursday is hosted by Joy at Joy of desserts and Favorite Ingredient Friday is hosted by Overwhelmed with Joy.