4 tablespoons salted butter
3 medium Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
3 medium hot house tomatoes
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon minced garlic, jar
6 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon Better than Beef Bouillon
1 tablespoon kitchen bouquet
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
4 thin slices french or sourdough bread, toasted
4 slices Gruyere cheese*
- Melt butter in bottom of stock pot.
- Separate onions into rings and add to butter. Cook until tender and golden.
- Add flour and blend well with butter mixture and onions.
- Add broth, beef bouillon, kitchen bouquet, paprika, onion powder, celery salt, sea salt and pepper and stir well.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Toast bread and then butter it.
- Ladle soup into 4 oven proof bowls that have been put on a cookie sheet for easier handling.
- Place 1 slice of toast over top of soup.
- Lay 1 slice of cheese on top of toast.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
BAKED CHEESY CROUTONS
6 slices thick sourdough bread
butter, melted, enough to coat bread
½ cup Fontina Cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bread slices on oven rack and bake until dry and golden. Melt butter in flat bowl. Combine cheeses in flat bowl. Dip first in butter and the cheese mixture. Bake on cookie sheet 8-10 minutes until cheese is bubbly and melted. Float croutons on top of soup bowls just before serving.
Yields: 6 BOWLS
Time to make: 1½ hr
*you'd think living close to Wisconsin, the cheese state, I could get all sorts of flavors of cheese, but alas I still can't find gruyere and have been substituting provolone.