Hubby had been craving S.O.S. a lot lately! I hadn't made it in years and he really wanted to go OUT for a hometown diner style breakfast. Someone told us about a local diner that had it as a special every other weekend. Of course we had just missed that weekend so he had to wait almost 2 weeks until yesterday! He was soooooooooo excited and then he was soooooooooooo disappointed. It truly was S@#%! on a shingle, the dogs weren't even thrilled with the leftovers! So this morning I surprised hubby with home made Creamed Chipped Beef and I thought I would share the recipe. One of my 'secret' ingredients is serving it over sourdough toast for extra flavor. The other is using a cast iron skillet.1/3 cup butter
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 jar Armor dried beef*, chopped small
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (my last secret ingredient)
- Melt the butter and add the onions.
- After about 2 minutes add the beef also. Saute' until onions are translucent.
- Sprinkle with pepper. Use salt sparingly (beef is pretty salty)
- Sprinkle flour over the meat and onions and stir in well. The flour will burn, so work quickly.
- Gradually add in the milk, stirring continuously until mixture boils. Turn down heat.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and thicken to a gravy consistency.
- Serve immediately over toast.