CARIBBEAN COURT-BOUILLON CHICKEN & STRAWBERRY BANANA RICOTTA BROCCOLI

Dave over at My Year on the Grill recently made Caribbean Court Bouillon Talapia. It looked so yummy that I had to try it. I had all the ingredients except the Talapia so I thought I'd try it with chicken. I have to report that the chicken kicks ASS so I can't wait to try it with the Talapia.

I had never heard the word Courtbouillon before either, so I was glad Dave had done research... Court-Bouillon is a cooking method that uses a flavored liquid for poaching or quick cooking foods.

Dave altered the original recipe to fit him and Jackie and then I altered it to fit hubby and I too.






5 tablespoons melted butter
5 tablespoons sifted flour
1 cup Celery, diced (I was out so used carrots instead)
1 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 cupVidalia Onion, cut into thin rings
1 head minced Garlic
3 Roma tomatoes (1 pureed, 2 chopped)
3 tablespoons Jerk spices (2 mixed in Sauce, 1 sprinkled on top of fish)
4 ounces CRUZAN Black Strap Dark Rum - I didn't have the black strap rum, so I used Bacardi gold
2 tablespoons Curacao
8 ounces chicken stock
1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
Green Onion to garnish
Parsley to garnish
Pineapple slice to garnish
3 cups Mahatma Rice
  • Make a Roux.
  • Add the Vegetables and 2 tablespoons of the Jerk spices.
  • Mix well and saute till the vegetables start to get tender.
  • And here is the fun part... Add the RUM & the CURACAO... It will sizzle!
  • Add the stock.
  • Bring to a gentle simmer and allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Start the Rice... It takes 20 minutes to cook the rice.
  • Put the fish on top of the simmering liquid. Do not turn, it is being poached. Sprinkle some of the Jerk spices over the fish.
  • Cover the pan and allow the simmering magic to do what it does... it takes 20 minutes, but again, do not touch the fish.
  • For presentation, use a wide spatula to remove the chicken and keep warm.
  • Plate the rice, top with the reduced liquid and vegetables, top with the chicken.
  • Add the garnish.
  • And for a final Caribbean flare, add a slice of pineapple on the side.
8 ounces ricotta cheese**
8 ounces strawberry banana yogurt**
1 tablespoon Curacao
Broccoli spears
  • Whisk together the ricotta cheese and yogurt.
  • Add Curacao and warm through.
  • Pour over broccoli spears.
**We're at the stage of cleaning out the fridge and cupboards again so I improvised to use up these 2 ingredients and they were a yummy addition.
aprons 3

2 comments:

A Year on the Grill said...

Tamy... this looks terrific. Loved the poaching method for the fish, the chicken makes lots of sense... excellent!

Martha said...

Sounds good for both chick or fish, maybe pork too!