I have no idea where this recipe came from, but it has become a family favorite. I also borrowed this picture from Claudia to show that these or ANY cheese ball can be made what you want by just changing what you decorate the outside in and/or making them bite size by just adjusting how much you roll into each ball. We prefer them "bite" sized.
BACON CHEDDAR CHEESE BALLS
1 pound extra sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
8 ounce package Philadelphia cream cheese
1/4 cup apricot pineapple preserves
2 ounce jar pimentos, drained, rinsed and dried (optional)
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Franks Red Hot Pepper Sauce*
8 slices bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
Additional toppings as desired - crushed nuts, chives, carrot pieces, pickle pieces, etc...
- In a very large bowl combine the cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Add the preserves, milk, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and half the bacon.
- Beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Roll mixture into desired number of balls.
- Roll each ball in desir4ed topping.
- Chill for at least an hour.
- Serve with crackers, celery sticks, toast points, etc...